PCC Meeting Minutes

PCC 29 January 2020

 

  • Attending: Graham Earl, Maria Seaman, Alison Middleton, Helen Cracknell, Jeremy Bullock, Heidi Ellson, Chris Gledhill, David Downey, Carolyn Beck, Melvyn Pereira

 

  • Apologies: Sue Suter, Elizabeth Holbrook

 

  • Minutes of the previous meeting – proposed by CG, seconded by DD, passed by the meeting

 

  • Sharing the faith – only one taker for the course offered by Melvyn so far, for those not in small groups. Seems to be going well in homegroups.

 

  • Fairtrade – HC – are we, should we be buying Fairtrade? Tea has been donated, which makes it difficult in terms of checking its Fairtrade.
    • Query over who buys the coffee – Marion?
    • ACTION – Melvyn to check with Marion who buys the coffee
    • Decision – we would like to go fully Fairtrade – tea, coffee, sugar

 

  • Supporting parents serving during service times
    • Conversations ongoing being led by Melvyn and Ali

 

  • Ministry Leadership Team Report
    • No comments received

 

  • Safeguarding training
    • This is on-going
    • HC – do we have a record of who has undertaken the training or not, and will we get a reminder?
    • MP – There is a tracking sheet and this is being used to follow up those who require training.
    • MP – Valerie has said she would like to stand down from the role of leading this. Alex has said she’s happy to continue to support.  MP is checking whether Alex would be happy to lead or not.  Either way, we will need to find someone else to be part of the safeguarding work.
    • MP – training for the basic level is now being done on-line. We are seeking to run a course for those in leadership positions.
    • MP – requirements of safeguarding officers – one of the safeguarding officers must attend a PCC meeting at least once a year; they should send a report to each PCC meeting; and, can request to attend any PCC meeting to address safeguarding matters if they want to but must give notice to Melvyn or the PCC Secretary.

 

  • Leadership Away Day
    • Review of items we identified to be addressed
      • Timing of the service – decided we won’t do anything to change this
      • Church – what is the purpose of the Sunday service – feeding the faithful or for non-churched – agreed main purpose is to feed the faithful, and we should be aware there may be people unfamiliar with church
      • In our community – litter pick continues – etc.
      • Communicate better – we will make PCC minutes available – some hard copies in church – and post these on the website
        • NOTE – minutes will need to be checked to ensure data protection is upheld – e.g. any personal matters / concerns to be removed.
      • Pre-service prayer – this is being publicised and encouraged
      • Alpha course – we will not actively pursue this at the moment. One for the future.
      • Testimonies and story sharing – being encouraged and Melvyn is looking for those who are willing to share
      • Social events – continue these – Church weekend away being an example
      • New estate strategy – CG has identified contacts with the developers – these will be pursued
    • JB – proposed we publicise the items raised and actions taken to the church family in a short slot on a Sunday morning
      • MP – will update the document and send out to those who attended
      • Agreement that a slot at church would be a good idea

 

  • Finance review
    • Accounts are closed for 2019
    • All except a few of those with direct debits have moved over to the new parish giving scheme
      • 33 households use the scheme which means just under 50% do not use a planned giving scheme
    • CG – this will be the subject of consideration for stewardship Sunday in terms of encouraging people to take part in planned giving
    • AM – we need to be aware that not everyone has a regular income, and therefore people may not be able to set up planned giving
    • CG – fundraising – £1,000 has been put into the budget – what do people think?
      • HC – cake sale on first Sunday of the month. We could focus the fund-raising on Missionary giving, so the cake sale supports missionary giving. That relieves the pressure on other areas of the budget.
    • MP – can we combine fund-raising with social events?
    • HE – to take the lead and review this with the social group
    • AM – the more specific we make the appeal – i.e. for a specific mission partner – the more likely people are to contribute
    • MP – propose cake sale on 23rd Feb for Mission Sunday, proceeds to go towards supporting our Mission Partners.
      • Needs to be publicised – poster to be done for Sunday

 

  • Street Pastors
    • Gleneagles have a key role in this, Melvyn is a trustee, John Mulhall leads the group
    • Increase in Annual Subscription to £800 required from Ascension Trust
      • The Ascension Trust are asking Wellingborough Street Pastors to give £450 this year and £800 next year
      • Request sent to all churches to contribute £10/mth
    • MP – what do we want to do? Make Wellingborough Street Pastors one of our Mission Partners, which means we’d provide £35/mth?
    • HC – who are our Mission Partners?
      • ACTION – CG – to check the position re: our Moldova contributions
    • MP – said we want to give up to 10% of what we receive as a church
    • CG – Northants Police show in their regular updates where the money is spent – pie chart
    • ACTION – HC – do pie chart for stewardship Sunday to show the split of where the money goes
    • MOTION PASSED – meeting agreed to make Wellingborough Street Pastors mission partners – CG proposed, CB seconded, passed with one abstention

 

  • Street Meals Rota
    • MS – Street Church – taking place in the Daylight Centre – would like churches to get involved in preparing the meals so those doing the outreach can concentrate on the participants. Proposal is a rota for churches to contribute.
      • MS – query – is PCC happy to have this raised in church?
      • Query – has it been raised at Deanery Synod?
      • ACTION – CB to send MS email to Deanery secretary

 

  • Christmas Review
    • MS – Ignite – nativity service – on the 24th – needs to be re-thought
      • AM – stressful, only 3rd of the children came
  • HE – Christingle service…?
  • AM – scratch nativity – create the nativity on the day?
  • MS – Christingle / scratch nativity mix?
  • AM – agree that we will review
  • HE – Carol singing – use of buckets – think that the buckets were misinterpreted as being fund raising
    • CG – didn’t feel we had the control over the various elements we would have liked
    • MP – response on the door was good, didn’t feel there was any difficulty with the buckets, fewer people offered money this year than last
    • HC – agree with CG – need to control which doors we’re knocking on
    • HC – nice finishing up at the club – AM – club were very happy
    • AM – we should stay in the club once we’ve finished singing
    • HE – would like more carols during the advent services
    • CG – card should be internally designed
      • MP – we have run competitions previously but this begins to get difficult
      • MP – we could ask someone we think is good at this

 

  • Hope into Action update
    • MP – 2nd tenant has been interviewed and is going to see the house
      • Looks like 2nd tenant might be confirmed by 31/01/20

 

  • Building update
    • JB – raised the issue of the £53k in the building fund and what we’re doing with it
    • CG and MP will be going to see the developers on the Glenvale estate to see if they would be willing to support us
    • CG will talk to John Hardie, our architect, about what might be possible
    • JB asked that the question be – what needs doing – at a base level – and then how might we do this – i.e. volunteer time, developer contribution, and building fund money

 

  • Any Other Business
    • HE – all age service – feels recently more like a children’s service – is it incorporating ‘all ages’ or is it concentrated on the children – e.g. other ages could do the reading?
      • AM – adults are leading the rest of the service
      • MP – challenge is to make sure the message reaches out to all people in the congregation
      • MS – another challenge is whether children could do more during the regular services – e.g. readings etc.
      • MP – will look at this on Sunday with fresh eyes to see if it is skewed too much toward children focus
    • MP – Annual Church Meeting – PCC – membership is 5 years, 1 year off and then someone can come back on. We don’t make members apply yearly.  Membership of PCC is 11 people at present.
      • Usually half are nominated – half are ex-officio. Currently, 6 are ex-officio and 5 are elected.  We have room for one more at this year’s APCM.
        • Ex-officio = Melvyn, Ali, Church Wardens, Deanery Synod reps (x2)
      • Vacancies: We have the following to fill as Sue is stepping down from her positions after several years of faithful service.
        • PCC secretary
        • Pastoral care leader
        • Admin assistant to Melvyn
        • Safeguarding officer
      • HC – proposal – conduct annual meeting on a Sunday, with lunch perhaps, so that people stay afterwards?
      • HE – need to find a different way to engage the congregation in the meeting
Categories

Church Weekend Away

Church Weekend Away

Freedom in Christ course

Freedom in Christ course

Ladies' and Men's Breakfast

Ladies' and Men's Breakfast

Update from Mark and Arleen

Update from Mark and Arleen

Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults: Policy and Procedure

Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults: Policy and Procedure

Breaking news! Prayers this week

Breaking news! Prayers this week

Home Group Social Evenings

Home Group Social Evenings

Baptisms at Gleneagles Anglican Church

Baptisms at Gleneagles Anglican Church

Monthly Litter Pick

Monthly Litter Pick

July 3rd, 2019

Published by: Fiona Clarke

Category: Events,Latest News

More

HOPE INTO ACTION AT GLENEAGLES CHURCH

HOPE INTO ACTION AT GLENEAGLES CHURCH