Monthly Archives: July 2019
October 2018 was an exciting time for Gleneagles Church when the purchase of a house in Wellingborough, to ‘house the homeless’, was made. Members of Gleneagles church, together with investors found by the charity Hope Into Action, had raised the required funds.
After the purchase, it took a few months to complete the furnishing and equipping of the house to make it ready and welcoming for the first tenants. Many household items were donated by members of the church.
Happily, our first tenant moved in on June 22nd this year and it is hoped a second tenant will soon follow.
The tenants are supported by an Empowerment Worker, Jayne Jones, and the Gleneagles Church Friendship and Support group. They will be helped and encouraged to make positive choices in their lives, find regular employment, manage household tasks and finances and eventually be able to move on to independent living so that the church can help a succession of homeless people to leave life on the streets.
Please pray with us for Jayne and the Friendship and Support Group which she leads, for our first tenant KP (name not made public for confidentiality reasons) and for a second tenant to be found.
Freedom in Christ course.
People on the earlier courses found it to be excellent so do speak to Melvyn for more information and let him or June know if you would like to do it (firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com).
Many people benefited from the teaching and discussions in the Freedom in Christ course and the Steps to Freedom.
Here are some of the participants’ comments about their experiences of the course:
- “the course is gentle and is gently transformative. It’s not ‘preachy’ or heavy handed or what I would call overly evangelical”
- “this is a developmental programme, which requires thought as well as attendance.”
- “The course materials make it possible to revisit on my own as I feel there is much to be gained from devoting extra time. “
- “The course has helped me hugely in understanding how to be free from the lies I’ve believed about myself.”
- “This was a good course with a balance of reassurance and challenge. I’d encourage others to sign up!!”
- “Thoroughly enjoyable, thought provoking and enlightening. Potentially life changing. Extremely well presented in a clear and non-threatening way, with practical tools. One of the best Christian courses I’ve attended.”
- “Freedom in Christ – achieves what it promises in its title!”
- “I found the course material excellent. I now feel equipped with the tools to tackle strongholds in my life, deepen my relationship with Jesus and mature in my faith.”
- “I would recommend it for all Christians at some point on their Christian journey, probably the sooner the better.”
- “The course has been very helpful. I have really liked the ‘I CAN DO’ lists. I found them very empowering and will repeat them again from time to time and of course, the ‘Steps to Freedom’ away day was very good.”
- “It is rooted in the truth of the bible and that is one of the main revelations for me”
- “if we believe the Bible, then we believe all of it, no matter how we might feel about it.”
- ” I suspect up until now I’ve been guilty of ‘interpreting’ the bible to some extent and applying my human ‘wisdom’ to it.”
- “What I feel challenged on, and somewhat relieved by is that if I believe the Bible to be THE TRUTH then it truly is the foundation stone on which to base the rest of my life in Christ.”
- “I’d like to repeat it sometime in the future” with “a separate time set aside, say an evening on another day in the week to think through what I’ve taken in and introduce personal behavioral change” supporting “the old adage: ‘do it once for thought, the second time for action”.
- “I’d like a longer Saturday training day with breaks for thinking, prayer and meditation”
- “Great experience!”
- “I’d encourage others to sign up!!”
Latest info updated 25/09/19
On Saturday 6th July – this Saturday – Gleneagles Church will be working alongside Wellingborough Street Pastors at the Wellingborough Carnival in Croyland Park. We will be using Street Pastors gazebo as a Prayer Tent and handing out leaflets giving people the opportunity to ask for prayer. Everyone is welcome.